Ways to Detox Post-Festivities

Ways to Detox Post-Festivities

The month of December is synonymous with the festive season. It’s when many of us look forward to letting our hair down at the myriad of parties and bashes with scrumptious fare and tantalising tipples. Because it’s the time for merriment, we often throw caution (and calories) to the wind and over indulge, which takes a toll on the body. Over-drinking is a slippery slope to dehydration and headaches, while overeating leads to you feeling bloated, uncomfortable and may even cause heartburn. After a weekend of partying, your body will be begging for some much-needed TLC and with the following tips, we’ll help you detox the healthy way.

Reset your mindset

Getting back on a healthy diet and completely omitting the unhealthy food you love is one of the most common mistakes because the all-or-nothing approach doesn’t work and isn’t a sustainable one. Balance and listening to your body are key. You can look for healthier alternatives to your favourite meals, so you can still indulge without the guilt. For example, if the mac and cheese is your favourite guilty pleasure, swap out the cheese with a savory cashew cheese sauce to cut down on saturated fat. Instead of using butter, you can switch it out for extra-virgin coconut or olive oil or grass-fed ghee.

Be kind to yourself and take things one day at a time. Start with a small, realistic goal like making yourself a healthy breakfast or meal prep for at least one meal a week. This way, you can measure progress every day.

Fill up on fibre-rich foods

Have you experienced a persistent hunger or dissatisfaction despite indulging on sugary and fatty foods? This is probably because these food lack fibre and protein which keep your blood-sugar levels stabilised and your hunger at bay.

It’s said that a high-fibre diet rich in vegetables and fruits, whole grains, beans, and other plant-based proteins will have you satiated longer. Also, most of the fibre-rich foods are rich in antioxidants which battles against inflammation in the body caused by stress, high cortisol levels and unhealthy eating habits. We’ve got just the thing to help you — Orifera's Fibre Dtx is a quick and effective 15 days detoxification perfect to wean you off the festive fare.

Drink less during the week or cut out alcohol completely

Up to 60% of the human adult body consists of water and when we over-drink, which we tend to do during parties, can dehydrate the body. So, swap out alcohol for water and ideally, we should be drinking two 8-oz glasses of water four times a day to keep well hydrated at all times.

Exercise

Don’t allow the guilt of indulging to eat you up but instead, let tomorrow be a new day of hope and improvement. One night of eating and drinking what you like doesn't make a habit but what you do on a daily basis is what affects your long-term health. Start fresh with a jog in the park or follow some HIIT or yoga workouts on Youtube and most importantly, be consistent. Live by the 80/20 rule — Eat and live healthily 80 percent of the time and the remaining 20 percent of the time, you can splurge. Bear in mind, this includes two splurge meals and maybe one dessert, not a weekend of total abandon.

Journal

Journaling may be unconventional to many, but it’s a good strategy for anything and everything, from relieving stress to goal setting to creating mindfulness shifts.

If you’ve been overeating take journaling as an opportunity be accountable and jot down how you feel when you eat these food, what leads you off track, and what small steps you take every day. It’s important to write about the good things just as well as the bad — like the healthy salads and snacks you’ve made.

When you embrace your imperfect eating habits, you identify the temptations and challenges and can create strategies to deal with it. So, the next time you crave for a slice of cake, you will know the trigger factor and put an end to it.

Link up with your sleep cycle

After a weekend of booze and parties, your precious REM cycle of deep sleep will definitely be affected. Without sufficient, deep sleep, you’d feel lethargic and like a zombie at the office. We can preach enough on the importance of sleep and its benefit for the body so get back on your regular sleep cycle and aim for 8 to 10 hours of sleep throughout the week. Start this on Sunday night or Monday and set a realistic time to wake up and sleep. In order to promote sleep, it would help if you don’t scroll through your Instagram feed or watch Netflix right before bed.