The Versatility of Virgin Coconut Oil
Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) can’t seem to remain on shelves for its diverse health benefits and versatility. We have segregated the VCO uses into segments of cooking and food uses, beauty, health and household for your reading pleasure.
Cooking / Food Uses:
- Cooking at High Heat (Sauteing and Frying) — virgin coconut oil, comprising healthy saturated fat, is great for cooking at a high heat because of its high smoke point. Other oils like olive oil tend to oxidise when heated.
- “Buttering Your Toast” — Instead of the usual butter, opt for virgin coconut oil to spread on sprouted grain bread. It exudes a slight coconut flavour and appetising aroma.
- Creamer for Your Coffee — Adding a spoonful of virgin coconut oil to your coffee can give you an extra boost of energy and replace dairy creamer. To make things a tad interesting, put your hot coffee in a blender together with dollops of virgin coconut oil and your favourite natural sweetener and blend. You will be amazed at its rich consistency and delectable flavour. In Asia, many athletes tend to blend their morning coffee with virgin coconut oil and grass-fed ghee to increase performance and energy. (Try keto coffee!)
- Boost Nutrients in Smoothies — For a boost of chemical-fighting compound, add one to two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil. Its benefit — improves the texture of smoothies, while building healthy fats in your body.
- Healthy Popcorn Topping — for a scrumptious waft of popcorn, drizzle organic corn kernels with VCO, sea salt and voila!
- Replacement for Non-stick Cooking — Don’t you feel frustrated when your egg still sticks to a non-stick frying pan? Douse the pan with a few teaspoons of virgin coconut oil, followed by the egg. Cleanup will be a breeze.
- Eat it by the Spoonful: Doctors and physicians have claimed that drinking a spoonful of virgin coconut oil does wonders for your insides. Just be sure not to over indulge.
- Replace Vegetable Oil for Baking: Switch out vegetable oil for virgin coconut oil the next time you bake your favourite cake or brownie. It will taste divine!
- Salad Dressings: Easy to make salad recipes incorporating virgin coconut oil can be found here.
- Natural Skin Moisturizer — Because it’s derived naturally, virgin coconut oil works just like a moisturiser on the face. It seeps into the skin rather quickly and doesn’t leave a greasy layer. Before you retire to bed, cleanse your face and dry it. Then, warm a pea-sized coconut oil with your hands and apply it on your face in a circular motion. Let sit for 5 minutes, and then wipe off the excess.
- Wrinkle Reducer — There’s no need to invest in expensive eye cream and anti-wrinkle products when you can just dab some coconut oil around the eyes to battle premature ageing. Leave the oil overnight and wake up looking illuminated and refreshed. Combine with frankincense essential oil for additional anti-aging benefits.
- Natural Makeup Remover — Liquefy your mascara and makeup with the application of VCO. Once it all comes off, wipe off with a warm cloth. The perks of using coconut oil instead of makeup remover is it doesn’t sting or irritate your eyes.
- Homemade Toothpaste — Create your own natural toothpaste by mixing equal parts of virgin coconut oil with baking soda and mixing it with a few drops of peppermint essential oil. Alternatively, try out Orifera Natural Virgin Coconut Oil Toothpaste.
- Lip Balm — Unlike other parts of the skin, our lips don’t have an oil gland to keep it moisturised. Thus, it’s more susceptible to get dry and chapped. VCO’s nourishing quality helps to moisturise the lips, provide protection against the sun and, most importantly, it’s safe to consume. Mix together 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil with 2 tablespoons of beeswax, and 1 tablespoon of shea butter in a nonstick saucepan. Warm the concoction until it’s melted. Then, using a funnel, transfer the liquid into a used lip balm container and allow it to set for approximately six hours.
- Personal Lubricant — The anti-fungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties of the virgin coconut oil helps in keeping the vaginal flora healthy. (P/S: avoid using coconut oil or with any latex contraceptives, as it can corrode the latex.)
- Cellulite Solution — Cellulite haunts anyone, at any size. It’s stubborn and not a pleasant slight. You can amalgamate one tablespoon of virgin coconut oil with 10 drops of grapefruit essential oil and massage in a firm circular motion into affected areas.
- Cheekbone Highlighter: Want a natural highlight from within but no product seems to give you the effect? Apply a small amount on cheekbones over makeup.
- Baby Care: Babies tender skin are susceptible to diaper rash. Apply the VCO to the baby’s bottom on a regular basis to see results.
- Nipple Cream During Breastfeeding: Nursing mothers popularly opt for virgin coconut oil as a natural, nipple cream.
- Tanning Oil: The wonders of coconut oil doesn’t cease to amaze. Put some virgin coconut oil in a spray bottle and bring to the beach for your own natural, tanning oil. Spray on to keep skin moisturised.
- Defrizzer of Split Ends: It’s not uncommon for tropical countries or places with high humidity to give you frizzy hair. Just apply a tiny amount on your hands and run them through your hair. Frizz be gone!
- Static Reducer: Have you ever experienced static cling but on your hair? Well, VCO comes in to rescue — just rub your hands with some of its oil and run them through your static-y hair.
- Metabolism Booster and Energiser: Need a boost of metabolism? Slurp up two tablespoons of VCO. Instead of turning to coffee, drink a teaspoon for energy.
- Thyroid Supporter: Virgin coconut oil consumption is known to aid healthy thyroid function.
- Relieve Symptoms of Arthritis: Arthritis is a disease that causes painful inflammation and immobility of the joints. Studies show that the antioxidants in coconut oil relieves symptoms of arthritis.
- Remove Gum From Hair or Furniture — If you have children at home and they have stuck chewing gum in your hair or on your sofa, we understand your frustration. The solution is easy — apply some coconut oil to tease the gum off the surface without leaving any stains.
- Dust Preventer — Being an emollient, virgin coconut oil tends to accumulate dust from surfaces like wood, plastic or cement. Apply a small amount of VCO over the intended area and let it dry — don’t bother washing or worrying about stains.
- Laundry Detergent — Combine virgin coconut oil with lye (sodium hydroxide), water and essential oils of your choice to create a non-toxic soapy liquid that is perfect for cleaning clothes. The formula will not irritate your skin or have a negative effect on fabric, like many store-bought detergents can. This is a great solution for sensitive skin and those prone to allergies.
- Rust Reducer — We meant it when we said virgin coconut oil is versatile in its offerings. Layer coconut oil over metal to combat rust and allow it to seep in for a couple of hours. You should notice a difference immediately.
- Help Deter Pests: Make your own concoction of coconut oil, tea tree oil and citronella to make a deterrent.